Monday, October 29, 2012

Is it too late to try to breastfeed my almost 4 wk old?

At the time when Chase was almost 4 weeks old, I contemplated trying to breastfeed again.  So I searched on line to see how outlandish this idea was.  I found...(http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090322184257AAM31Su)



Resolved Question

Show me another»

My baby is almost 4 weeks and I want to start breastfeeding, is this possible?

The first 2 days my son was born, I breastfed. Then the 3rd day, I got to go home from the hospital and I started using formula because I wasn't supplying enough milk. I pumped when I could, and gave that to him and still gave him formula. I gave up the breastfeeding but want to try again. He's about to be 4 weeks. Will this hurt him if i try to switch him back to breast milk, and is it possible for me to do this?
  • 4 years ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

It is most definitely possble --- if you have the right support, and the right tools.
You may want to invest in a supplemental nusrsing system, Medela makes them, and another company, I don't remember the name now. It'll help to reestablish your milk supply.

You'll need a good lacttion consultants.
100% 1 Vote
  • 3 people rated this as good

Other Answers (7)

  • Yes. I know it's possible because some mothers who adopt babies want to breastfeed. Constant pumping can produce milk, your doctor can give you something to boost your system as well. I don't remember if it was a pill or a shot.
    0% 0 Votes
    • 2 people rated this as good
  • You can do it, but you will have to nurse nurse nurse as often as baby will take it. And when you're not nursing pump. You'll probably have to do that for a few weeks to get the supply back up to what baby needs.

    And no, it won't hurt him at all. You may find though that after 4 weeks on a bottle, your baby won't want to latch on. Don't give up. Keep trying and get in touch with a local lactation consultant or a La Leche League leader for help!!

    Good luck!
    0% 0 Votes
    • 4 people rated this as good
  • it is possible for u to start breast feeding again and it wont hurt him

    i think u might of been misinformed about you not having enough milk tho .. Ur milk doesnt normally come in untill the 3-4th day
    ( mine didnt come in till the 6th day ) before that its colostrum , which is only small amounts .

    You should get in contact with a lactation consultant so they can help you with this and give you correct information .
    0% 0 Votes
    • 4 people rated this as good
  • Contact your son's pediatrician. S/he may have a lactation consultant on staff or know of a particular one and they should be able to help you reestablish breastfeeding. It is possible, but with a bit of hardwork. You could also contact Le Leche League. I think it's www.llli.org. Good luck!
    0% 0 Votes
    • 1 person rated this as good
  • You can try it as long as you've continued to pump this whole time. If you stopped pumping, your milk would have dried up by this point.

    I highly suggest you seek out some local lacation support since your baby may have trouble latching on after getting used to only bottles.

    Also get in touch with your child's doc to find out if (s)he wants you to continue suplamenting with formula. If you haven't been pumping 8 times a day, your body isn't used to making enough milk for your child to get by on breastmilk only.
    0% 0 Votes
  • you can try it depends how much milk your still producing because it goes quick especially if you don't pump often enough another thing if you want to bottle and breast feed him is use these bottles called breastflow they simulate breast feeding they worked for my sister.

    Source(s):

    I'm 14 my sister is 22 mon. old and my mom breast fed my sis for the first 4 mon then breast and bottle fed her till she was nine mon. old then had to switch to formula fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...